The best time to attempt the hunt is on any given Saturday at noon. This will ensure that all challenge locations are open during the hunt. You may complete the hunt on any other day or time, however realize that some optional challenge locations may be closed. You can always come back for those on a different day, but your score will not be updated. We apologize for any inconvenience and if you signed up not realizing this, we would be pleased to refund your purchase if you tell us before completing the hunt.
What You and Your Team Agree to By Participating in the Great FROSTival Puzzle Hunt:
1. To observe and obey all local, provincial and federal laws and regulations. If found to be in violation of any of the aforementioned laws and regulations, you and your team will be dismissed from the hunt and not be eligible for a refund of team registration costs.
2. To respect judge’s rulings. Failure to obey judges will result in your dismissal from the hunt and you will not be eligible for a refund of team registration costs.
3. To accept full responsibility for our own health and safety for the duration of this event. You agree that your participation is fully voluntary and you willingly take on all of the inherent risks associated with a puzzle hunt. You will not hold Escape Logic Games, any of their employees or associated vendors/venues responsible for any harm that may result from your participation in the Great FROSTival Puzzle Hunt, and acknowledge that you are responsible for having your own insurance to cover personal injury or death. You fully indemnify Escape Logic Games, any of their employees and all third party vendors and venues from any liability associated with this puzzle hunt.
4. To indemnify and defend Escape Logic Games against all claims, causes of action, damages, judgements, costs or expenses, including attorney fees and other litigation costs, which may in any way arise from any your team’s actions.
5. To pay for all damages caused by your team to any facilities or spaces visited during this puzzle hunt.
6. That any legal claims arising from participation in this puzzle puzzle hunt not covered by this document shall be settled under New Brunswick law.
7. ELG and/or third parties may take photographs and videos of you and your team during the event to be used on social media or for other marketing purposes.
If you have an issue with any of these rules, please inform Escape Logic Games (
email@example.com) before starting the Great FROSTival Puzzle Hunt and we will arrange to refund your money.
What to Bring on the Hunt:
1. Each team will need a car with a full tank of gas and at least one member of the team requires a valid Class 5 driver's license.
2. At least one person will need a smart phone or tablet (with data). If multiple people have mobile devices, this will allow team members to view the clues in read-only mode. Only the captain will be able to submit answers.
4. Phone charger - although none of our play testers needed to use one.
5. Flashlights or phones with a flashlight mode (if you’re doing things after dark).
6. Water and snacks.
7. Clipboard, pencil and paper. Answers will be submitted on the phone, but having some paper to write on will help for certain parts of the hunt.
8. Winter boots and warm clothing - for the most part, teams shouldn’t need to spend more than 10 minutes at a time outside, but make sure you’re dressed warmly!
The ClueKeeper App:
ClueKeeper platform delivers hunt information, hints, answer verification, scoring and more. Each team will use
ClueKeeper on their own phone(s) or tablet(s).
Here are the steps you need to take in order to play this puzzle hunt:
- Install ClueKeeper on at least one Android or iOS device (installing on more is also fine). Make sure to bring a charger for that device.
- If you'd like to have a record of your participation in this hunt and see your team's results afterward, each team member should create a ClueKeeper player account using the mobile app or at cluekeeper.com.
- If you like, you can play the tutorial in ClueKeeper to learn how the app works. Use hunt code WELCOME to download the tutorial. All team members can do this independently.
- A few days before the hunt, you will receive an email from ClueKeeper, sent to the address with which you register your team. The mail will contain a hunt code for this puzzle hunt. Select the device on your team that will be the "master device" for the event and enter the code on that device to download the hunt.
- After downloading the hunt, the person with the "master device" should add all team members with ClueKeeper accounts. Team members can play along on their own devices in "read-only mode" during the hunt.
Note that if you would like to zoom in on a particular image for a clue, you can do so by tapping the image and then zooming in.
How the Hunt Will Work:
1. When you sign up for the hunt (or on January 18th), you will receive a hunt code and a start code (check your confirmation email). The hunt code is what you will enter into the app to locate and download the hunt. After downloading the hunt, when you open it on the app you will be prompted to input the start code. When you enter that code, your time will begin! You will have a total of four hours to complete the hunt.
2. The hunt is structured into two main paths. There’s what we call the “Main Event”, which contains all of the puzzles. The Main Event is 100% linear and you get a decent bonus to your score if you’re able to get all the way through the Main Event and complete the final puzzle.
3. Once you’ve completed the first couple of puzzles in the Main Event, you will receive an access code which allows you to access all of the other challenges. These are all one-off challenges, and are 100% non-linear (you don’t have to complete one challenge to do the next). Completing challenges will allow you to get extra points to boost your score, but are optional. There won’t be time to do everything, so you’ll have to pick and choose. You can take a break from the Main Event puzzles and attempt a challenge if you see that one is nearby.
4. Once completed, log onto the
ClueKeeper website to check out the leaderboard and how you stack up against the other teams!
Note that the puzzles can be done at any time of the day, but the challenges all take place at businesses around town. As such, some businesses may be closed when you are doing the hunt. If you would like to maximize the number of challenge locations that will be open, the hunt should be attempted on a Saturday afternoon. Note that some challenges may take you into a business where you would normally have to pay a fee to enter; these businesses have agreed to waive the fee if you identify that you’re taking part in the Great FROSTival Puzzle Hunt and leave once the challenge is completed. You will not have to pay anything extra at any challenge or puzzle location.
When visiting a business, please be respectful! Make contact with the staff and let them know that you’re there as part of the FROSTival Puzzle Hunt. They may be dealing with customers at that moment so please give them the time they need to come around to you. You will all be ELG ambassadors, and we know you’ll do your best to represent us!
How Hints and Scoring Will Work:
You will receive points for each puzzle solved and challenge completed. Hints for a puzzle can be purchased for points (typically a hint costs less than 10% of the number of points you get from that puzzle). Hints for a puzzle will get cheaper over time, so you may be able to wait a few extra minutes to lower the cost of the hint. Be aware though that you will need to weigh waiting for a puzzle to get cheaper against the time spent waiting.
If you’re really stuck, you will be able to skip a particular puzzle and move on to the next. Be aware though that you will get 0 points for that puzzle and you will not be able to return to solve it. The skip feature for a given puzzle will be enabled roughly 15 minutes after beginning that puzzle.
Teams will be ranked by score, so complete as many challenges and puzzles as possible in 4 hours to maximize your score! Once you’re done, your team name and score will be posted on the leaderboard which can be accessed by logging into the ClueKeeper website.
No one likes taking a hint, which is why we have made them so cheap to buy. All of the puzzles are worth 100 points and the challenges are worth 50-200 points. If you’re trying to decide if you should take a hint, just remember that it is FAR better to finish everything (in terms of score) and take a few hints rather than solve all of the puzzles without a hint and miss out on a few challenges. Ultimately, teams will be ranked according to score.
You can start from anywhere, but the hunt will take place within the following boundaries at all times (see map):
We are not anticipating any issues with the hunt, but in the off-chance that something goes wrong, please call Kody at 506-261-2160. Note that if you run into technical problems with a puzzle and can’t get in touch with anyone, don’t worry! Just skip that puzzle for now (should be able to skip after no more than 10-15 minutes). Contact us after the hunt to explain what went wrong and we will be able to modify your score to compensate for any technical difficulties you may have encountered. Please do not contact us to ask for help with puzzles. All hints will be delivered through the
If you have any questions, visit our
Facebook event page and post it. If it’s something you’re wondering about, other people would probably like to know as well!